1) UNDERSTAND that infertility causes stress for the entire family.
2) ESTABLISH a sense of urgency. Infertility can lead to spiritual crisis and your congregants need you to be supportive and informed. Their loss and struggles may be overwhelming.
3) SPEAK OUT about the hardships of infertility or say a prayer during the High Holidays when mentioning the new babies born that year.
4) SUPPORT and refer congregants to the Jewish Fertility Foundation’s Fertility Buddies and Support Programs.
5) EMPOWER others to act by placing supportive messages in your congregation bulletin. For example,“Are you or someone you love experiencing infertility, visit jewishfertilityfoundation.org for financial and emotional support.”
6) RECOGNIZE THE STRUGGLE for example, at a baby naming or bris know that there are those attending that are struggling just to be there, due to their infertility. Say a prayer or comment to recognize those that are trying to conceive.
7) COUNSEL couples who come to you for pre-marital counseling and discuss with them the importance of genetic (Jscreen) and infertility screening. 8) CREATE inclusive programming and recognize the importance of programming for those that are choosing to live child free or who haven’t begun to start their families.