Top 8 Ways You and Your Congregation Can Be
Supportive of Those Going Through Infertility
- STRESSFUL: Understand that infertility causes stress on the whole family.
- CRISIS: Infertility can lead to spiritual crisis and your congregants need you to be supportive and informed.
- PRAYER: Speak about the hardships of infertility or say a prayer at the High Holidays when mentioning the new babies born that year.
- SUPPORT GROUP: Host a Infertility Support support group at your synagogue. The Jewish Fertility Foundation is here to help you start a group in your community. See calendar for upcoming meetings.
- MESSAGING: Place supportive messages in your congregation bulletin. For example,“Are you or someone you love experiencing infertility, contact www.jewishfertilityfoundation.org for support.”
- RECOGNITION: At baby naming’s or bris’ recognize that there are those attending that are struggling just to be there, due to their infertility . Say a prayer or comment to recognize those that are trying to conceive.
- COUNSELING: When couples come to you for pre-marital counseling, discuss with them about the importance of genetic and infertility screening. Refer them to JScreen or their OB/GYN for infertility screening.
- PROGRAMMING: Recognize the importance of programming for those that are choosing to live child free or who haven’t begun to start their families.